Let me begin by saying I cannot stand Quinoa. I just do not like it. I have tried it on many occasions, but it is just not my thing. Now you may be like me and look at this recipe and say, “I hate quinoa and would never make this,” but follow me here. A few weeks ago, I was eating with a friend, and they ordered a quinoa porridge for breakfast. I was curious, so I tried it, and I was amazed. This quinoa dish was sweet, and flavorful, and the opposite of any other quinoa I had tried. So, if you are like me and hate quinoa, or if you love quinoa give my Strawberry Quinoa Muffins a try they may just be your new favorite recipe.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, a small bowl, a knife and cutting board, a strainer, a rubber spatula, a saucepan with a lid, a mini muffin tin, the stove and the oven.
Make your recipe your own by using your favorite fruits, nuts, or candies.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove or oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Strawberry Quinoa Muffins (36 mini muffins)
1 Cup Quinoa, Raw
1 Can Coconut Milk (13.5 oz can)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Oats, Quick or Rolled
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 Cup Brown Sugar, Light, Packed
¼ Cup Butter, Melted (4 Tbl.)
1 ea Egg
2 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Strawberries, Fresh, Small Diced or Chopped
As Needed: Pan Spray
3. Preheat your oven to 350F.
4. Wash your quinoa in your strainer. Shake up your coconut milk in the can. Add the quinoa and 1 cup of the coconut milk to your saucepan. Place the saucepan on the stove on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium low and place the cover on the saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Take the lid off and let the quinoa cool for later.
5. In your small bowl add the wet ingredients, brown sugar, melted butter, egg, vanilla, and the rest of the coconut milk (about ¾ of a cup) and mix well. Cut up your strawberries for later.
6. In your large mixing bowl add the dry ingredients, flour, oats, baking powder and salt, and mix well.
7. Add the cooked quinoa to the dry ingredients. Fold the ingredients together using your rubber spatula.
8. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in your strawberries.
9. Spray your muffin tin liberally with pan spray.
10. Fill the muffin tins ¾ full.
11. Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. You can check for doneness by poking the muffins with a toothpick or small sharp knife. If the toothpick comes out of the muffin without any batter on it, they are done. If you are making larger muffins, they will take longer to bake.
12. Remove the muffins from the oven and remove from your muffin tin. Repeat the process until all of the muffin batter is baked.
Serve your strawberry quinoa muffins as is, or top with frosting, whipped cream, or nut butter.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring and adding the ingredients to the bowls
Mixing the ingredients
Adding the batter to the muffin tins
Older helpers can help by:
Making everything for the muffins
Cooking and cutting while supervised